Thursday, May 19, 2011

Day 2

I find it amusing that this blog has a section that says Stats. Which shows how many people clicked on my blog. So far there are 3 views, which is exactly how many times I checked this place. Hmm, is there a correlation?

So hypothesis testing-- I think it's a fairly easy null and alternative hypothesis to test. Null hypothesis would be that the probability 1=probability 2, in which the first probability is the collected data and the second probability in the national data. The alternative hypothesis will be that probability 1 is not equal to probability 2. I'm not positive about a confidence interval and if I need one, but if I do I'll use a 95% confidence interval.

As for data sampling, I'll do cluster sampling based on my classes, mostly because of ease. Of course, I am making a big assumption that the percentage of kids who go on facebook/the internet and are in 6.0 or AP is the same as those in 4.0 and 5.0, and to be honest the better idea would be a stratified sample, but as I am a bit short on time I'll make the assumption and have that as a possible error in the experiment. I am also assuming that the distribution in approximately normal since I'll have only about 100 people as data, so that's another shaky bit of data. Though from my experience the internet is blind to school level/grades, so I wouldn't expect too large of an issue.

I'll make a nice little sheet for people to write yes of no for having facebook, and I'll start today! Hopefully I can finish by tomorrow~

1 comment:

  1. This can essentially be a one proportion z-test as well, where you are testing a sample proportion (your data) versus a national proportion of facebook users.

    ReplyDelete