Friday, May 20, 2011

Day 3

So, I have the majority of my data at this point--just need to ask the kids in my chem class, and if I can get 9 more data sets, I'll have a nice rounded 100 pieces of data. From the data so far, I have a feeling that the proportions will not be equal to each other, considering that I only have 2 'nos' for being on facebook.

However, I think I'll be changing the proportion I'm using. Initially I said I would use the overall online population in America as my proportion. I realized that asking only high school students would make up a huge error in this experiment, since I wasn't accounting for the older generation, who would definitely be more likely not to have a facebook than high school kids. I just found a little pie chart thing on checkfacebook.com that shows the age groups for the kids going there, so I can add together the 14-17 and 18-24 age range and divide that sum over the total number of the online population, so I can have a more accurate number. However, there is no specific data on the website that states the number of people from 14-24 who are online, so I may have to look that up.

This is actually pretty fun, if I don't think of it overmuch!

ETA: some cool websites I found while trying to find out online population. Of course they give us the online population of 18-24 years old in the UK and Ireland but no in the US. Obstacles, obstacles.
ETA2: another interesting one. I have no idea if it's relevant, but I'm just linking sites on here so I can look them up later~

1 comment:

  1. This has been amazing to read your reflection as a project moves along. As a teacher, I don't often get to see this process. Why didn't we blog all year?!?!??!

    ReplyDelete