Wednesday, May 18, 2011

First Day!

Just created this blog, ready to work on my Graduation Project! As seen by the blog title, my topic of interest will be on Facebook--a topic very pertinent to my interests, as I am a frequent Facebooker. I am not sure if that is an actual Facebook term.

The main purpose of my project will be to find out whether the proportion of people in the high school who use Facebook is equal to the proportion of people in America who use Facebook. For that proportion, I'll use this handy website I found, which shows the amount of people on Facebook as of today and the online percentage. I'm not positive which I should use, the percentage of the online population (considering those that use Facebook would pretty much be part of the online population) or to use the number of people in the US who use Facebook and divide that by the total population in the country, which I could find through the most current census. At this point, I'm leaning towards the online population one, because 1. it's easier, and 2. if one has Facebook they're obviously online.

Of course, in this train of thought it might be best to ask two questions in this survey than one:
1. Do you go on the internet? and
2. Do you have a Facebook?
Then we can eliminate those that do not go on the internet and only include those that do go on the internet and do/do not have a Facebook so that the data will match that which is in the website.

Yeah, that's about all I can think of for now. Hypothesis testing and data sampling tomorrow, perhaps?
Congrats to Mr. C for the new job!

1 comment:

  1. Well thought out survey method and set of questions to narrow down to surveying the "online" population.

    ReplyDelete